What to eat if you’re suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis?
One of the major life changes that a person suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis is the change in everyday diet. In Rheumatoid Arthritis, the immune system of a person starts attacking the body which creates inflammation in joints, skin, lungs, nerves, eyes, and heart. Therefore, it is extremely important for a person to follow a Rheumatoid Arthritis diet to reduce the inflammation and other symptoms of the disease.
Follow anti-inflammatory diet won’t obviously cure Rheumatoid Arthritis but it will certainly help reduce inflammation as well as other symptoms such as swelling, stiffening, and redness in the joints. Several studies over the years have found that there is a direct connection between a healthy diet and inflammation.
Here’s a list of certain food items that you can include in your Rheumatoid Arthritis diet to lead a better life while getting treatment for the problem-
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Eating food rich with omega-3 fatty acids helps in fighting inflammation and also decreases the chances of heart disease. A person suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis has great chances of getting heart disease. Thus, including omega-3 fatty acids in your everyday diet helps cut down LDL cholesterol and triglycerides which are major causes of heart disease. Start eating food items such as fatty fishes(salmon, tuna, herring, and mackerel), chia seeds, flax seeds, and walnuts to get enough omega-3 fatty acid in your body.
- Beans: Beans are rich with fiber which is a necessary diet supplement to reduce inflammation and gives you enough protein to keep the muscles around your joints strong. Beans also reduce the levels of C-reactive protein(CRP) which is a major cause of inflammation. Red, kidney, and pinto beans are good sources of things like folic acid, magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium.
- Leafy Veggies: In the diet for arthritis it is important to consume leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, kale, Swiss chard, and bok choy as they are full of vitamins like A, C, and K, which protect you from free radical damage. They’re also a great source of calcium, which keeps your bones strong.
- Citrus Fruits: Consuming citrus fruits such as Oranges, grapefruits, and limes lead to a strong immune system that can help hold off inflammatory diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Turmeric: It is advisable to consume turmeric in case of Rheumatoid Arthritis as turmeric contains curcumin, which has been shown to reduce inflammation at the cellular level.
- Ginger: Ginger has long been recognized for its ability to reduce inflammation in a disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis. Like turmeric, ginger also contains chemicals that may work to help improve rheumatoid symptoms.
- Green Tea: Drinking green tea regularly helps with the signs of inflammation as it contains antioxidants which help in reducing inflammation and joint pain.
Consuming the aforementioned food items will surely help you set a well-balanced healthy diet but it is also important to avoid certain food items that cause inflammation. However, there are certain food items that have compounds which might also increase the inflammation so it is extremely necessary to avoid food items that fall into the category of- red meat, sugar and refined flour, fried food, gluten, alcohol, tobacco, and processed food items. It is advisable to consult a doctor or dietician to set a Rheumatoid Arthritis diet chart.